Sunday, July 22, 2012

First Day of Research Project

July 17, 2012
First Day of Research Project
Today we began working on our group projects.  I am enthusiastic about working on this project- Plant Identification on Various Disturbed Areas of BHW.  Originally, I wanted to work with water, but after working with Tom Lee yesterday, I became interested in working with invasive plants.  I have always loved plants and I will be able to work with water when we survey the beaver pond.   This will give me the opportunity to solidify and build to my understandings of plant identification.  Anyways, I hope this project will be useful in the long term for the management of BHW.  


In Ohio, where I first learned plant identification, the deciduous forests are very different than the woods surrounding my house.  But the woods surrounding my home seem different than the forest here.  I live only an hour north, but the difference in species dominance is interesting.  We have less deciduous variety amongst our trees.  I wonder why the difference is so notable within such a short distance?  Temperature? More inland?  Different topography?  The further north we travel, diversity of deciduous trees decreases.   


Doing a plant inventory is something I have wanted to do for years.  I don't know why... after I had seen a picture of a plant biologist searching through bushes for peppers in Mexico, I have wanted to complete one.  Perhaps after this, I will take the time to document plant material on our land.  Recently, I had noted plants that I had not observed before... elm, high bush blueberry... but other plants I am no longer able to find; like, bluebell lily and pink lady slippers.  Succession is quick- it seems to happen overnight.  

2 comments:

  1. Your comment about forests changing within a short distance made me wonder how the forest in inland southern NH (what's left of them along the I-93 corridor ;( )are different from coastal and the Wolfboro area forests. I don't recall seeing as much witchhazel. My interest in plants really started after I left Idaho. I often think about the plant pallet there...lots of sage brush. One of the best smells in the world is during/just after a sprinkle of rain falls. The scent of moist dust and sagebrush...ahhh. Makes me wonder what kinds of childhood scents we are all connected to our homes by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plant inventories are a wonderful experience. The process really motivates the scientist to observe carefully and document the existing vegetation. I encourage you to continue to document plants in your woods. Your children will enjoy the process too.

    ReplyDelete